Recently, my son started back to college (after working 2 jobs to support me after my devastating car accident. I love you, kid!). He ordered his sociology textbook through Amazon, however they mistakenly shipped us a Hamilton Beach Dual Breakfast Sandwich Maker. Score! I’d been eyeing these, wondering what kind of delicious keto meals I could create.
Since the whole premise of this appliance is to start with some kind of bread (oh, Oprah would be so happy!), like a bagel, English muffin, or croissant, my first step was to master a keto-friendly bread muffin to build my delicious sandwiches from.
After making these buns, you can continue on to make a breakfast or other sandwich in your sandwich maker (with meat, cheese, eggs, etc.) or you can brown the bottoms and use for a cold sandwich, or make several and keep them on hand for future sandwich needs. For example, make a grilled cheese sandwich.
6 tablespoons (42 grams) almond meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter, melted (or any other fat: coconut oil, lard, tallow, schmaltz, red palm oil, etc.)
Up to 1 tablespoon of water
- Preheat sandwich maker according to manufacturer directions.
- In a small bowl or mug, mix together the almond meal, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the egg and then the melted butter and mix thoroughly. Add water if needed, to make batter a pourable consistency.
- Pour the batter into the top half of your preheated sandwich maker, dividing evenly between the two compartments. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes, until the top is set.
- OPTIONAL: Only do this step if you are not going to use these to make a sandwich in your sandwich maker. To brown the bottom of your bun, slide out the divider on the sandwich maker so that each bun falls down to the bottom of the sandwich maker. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove buns from sandwich maker and place on a cooling rack until cooled. (Or eat right away, because they are that good!)
Yield: 2 buns
Nutrient info per bun: 260 calories, 4.8 g carbs, 2.2 g fiber (2.6 g net carbs), 25 g fat, 7.7 g protein
RDA: vitamin A 10%, vitamin E 29%, calcium 6%, iron 6%, magnesium 16%, selenium 11%
Get your free '7-day Fast & Easy Keto Meal Plan'
· Save time with 5-10 minute meals
· No cooking skills needed
· Satisfying and super delicious
· Made with real food available at any grocery store
You did it!
*Don't worry — I hate spam as much as you!